Still working on converting this page…Hoodoo Butte pictures – 2019 08/08 (Thu) 11:49 – Mobile page – Weather page – 48 hour, 6 hour versions
See the full Pictures page for details on what views are updated after sunset.
The ViewsAt various places on and around Hoodoo Butte there are cameras with views of the local mountains or other features of interest. The primary reason for having cameras is to allow the Ski Patrol radio dispatcher to see what’s happening at various places on the hill. The tops of the chair lifts are of particular interest to them.
Additional cameras have been added to help weather station users understand the current local weather conditions. These views attempt to include items both near and far, so that conditions can be better understood in the event of reduced visibility.
Some cameras were added for the view on a clear day. Clouds may obscure views from higher or lower camera sites under different conditions, so the redundant views of various mountains in the background can be useful to understand where cloud deck tops and bottoms are located.
Camera locations are constrained by power and communication resources, and year-round usefulness. Opportunities are limited, but interesting views will be added where possible.
| Sand Mountain
|| Hodag Chair
|| Green Chair (top)
| Hogg Rock
|| Black Butte & Cache Mountain
|| Mt Washington, Three Sisters & Big Lake
| Maxwell Butte
|| Mt Jefferson & Three-Fingered Jack
|| ‘Ed Thurston Chairlift (top)
| Manzanita chairlift (top)
|| Manzanita – Northeast view
|| Black Butte
| Easy Rider chairlift (top)
|| Hayrick Butte
|| Hoodoo Butte
|| Base Area
| Parking Lot (center)
|| Parking Lot (right)
||Random shot #1|
| Santiam Junction
|| Santiam Pass
- A new picture is taken every six minutes.
– This web page is updated every twelve minutes.
- Pictures will generally not be updated after twilight, after it gets too dark
to get good pictures.
– The sun is more than four degrees below the horizon.
– Pictures of roads and parking areas will be updated at night, since this could be of use to late-night travelers.
– Pictures of night skiing areas will be updated for days (Fri & Sat) and times (until 9PM) and dates when it’s likely to be happening.
- When visibility is reduced by clouds, fog, or precipitation,
here’s what you might not be seeing (sorted by elevation).
Looking to the North & West Elevation
Mt Jefferson 10497 012 19.4 Three-Fingered Jack
(Treeline on south ridge)
020 5.7 Maxwell Butte 6229 347 4.4 Crescent Mtn
(over the Hodag lift’s operator shack)
5750 287 10.9 Hogg Rock
(US20 milepost 79.5)
015 1.3 In the area Elevation
Hoodoo Butte (top) 5700 – – Hayrick Butte 5520 South 0.8 ‘Ed Chairlift top – Trees in south view 5400 South 0.02 Manzanita Chairlift top 5000 North 0.05 Hogg Rock – US 20 @ milepost 79 4400 North 1.6 Santiam Pass – US 20 @ milepost 81 4817 East 0.5 Parking lot & “Camper Row” 4700 South 0.01 – 0.2 Looking to the South & East Elevation
North Sister 10085 162 17.1 Middle Sister 10047 165 18.2 Mt Washington
(North ridge tree line)
156 5.3 Black Butte 6436 091 12.3 Big Lake 4644 164 2.1
- Views to the east and west are hard on the cameras. Since we want to have
some portion of the sky in the picture, at some times of the year the camera
will be pointed at a rising or setting sun.
- This used to destroy TV cameras. Newer CCD-based cameras seem to tolerate this abuse. In case it matters, the following notes will be retained:
- ‘Ed chair camera – Between 25 April and 12 August, the morning sun
- Base area camera – Between ~27 May and ~12 August, the evening sun.
- Easy Rider camera – During the short days of the year, the morning sun.
- Hodag chair camera – Spring & Summer sunsets (May-to-August)(dates not determined)
- Other nearby web cameras:
- Golden Eagle Camera – near Sisters (~3200′ ??) – from Nugget Newspaper article
- Camp Sherman – weather station & camera – (3018′)
- Black Butte Ranch – the ranch’s web site (3340′) ~ US20 milepost 90
- Christmas Treasures ~ Highway 126 @ milepost 43 in Blue River, OR (1100′)
- Anyone know of any other web cameras in the area ?
- And maybe we can encourage folks in places like Clear Lake, or Suttle Lake to consider adding a camera to their web site.
- If you have ideas for improvements to this picture page, please
them to ““.
- Please type the address shown into the “To:” line.
- This wierdness is explained in the “Spambot” comment on the main weather page.
- Related information: